Wednesday, April 7, 2010

New Cards I've Made

After that last post I figured that it was time to show you some positive things happening around here. The closeup below shows an exciting new technique I tried all on my own. First I stamped the cute jar on to some clear plastic, the kind your clear stamps come mounted on or any other thin plastic. I used a new set from Clear Dollar Stamps that includes kitchen items. It was on clearance and I don't see it there now, but she's got tons and tons of awesome stamps. Oh, I used Stazon black ink so it would be permanet and not smudge, then cut it out as soon as it dried. The red decoration is from a strand of tiny plastic beads attached with StampinUp Crystal Effects. I also adhered the jar to the stems and card with Crystal Effects, making sure to include some "spilled water" and droplets on the card.


Here's another picture showing the whole card. The flowers were stamped, then colored with another new technique I learned on YouTube. I used watercolor pencils, then odor free mineral spirits and a paper stump to blend the colors. It give a look similar to that folks get with Copic markers which are a little beyond my craft budget at the time. There are all kinds of videos on YouTube with instructions for this process and if you use your 50% off coupon at a local hobby store you can get the mineral spirits for a fairly low price. Heck, go in with a friend and share the product and price!

The ribbon along the side is threaded through the Fiskars Leave it to Weaver border punch (used a coupon for that too!) The idea of alternating three thin ribbons came from my awesome daughter Emily who is quite the artist (hint, hint, hint for anyone needing graphic design work!)
The card below was done for a guy, so doesn't have all the flowery stuff like the one above. Oh I forgot to say that I also used my Cuttlebug Swiss Dots embossing folder on both cards.
For this card I cut out the design and words with my Cricut using svg files and my Sure Cuts A Lot program. Those cute little leaves on the background are done using a very inexpensive foam stamp set and a new technique (again learned on YouTube). You sprinkle some reinker on a baby wipe to make your own variegated color scheme. I think these were done with Stampin Up reinkers Old Olive, Tangerine Tango and So Saffron. That's it for now!

3 comments:

The Redhead Riter said...

I love the dots!

Sharon said...

Thanks for stopping by! Those swiss dots are one of my favorites too. Kinda remind me of a favorite hippy blouse I found at a friends vintage shop, the real McCoy yellow Swiss Dot. Anyway, back to your blog to look around...

Melissa~ said...

What a cute, clever idea, Sharon! I love that! It kinda looks like shrinky dinks, but so much easier!

I have to try this!

♥ Melissa~
Pink Paper Peppermints