Monday, May 12, 2008

Kitchen Renovation Part 1

The story behind these pictures is below them because I haven't been able to figure out how to insert the pictures at the end of my story...

Before



During




After not being able to cook on my broken stove for over a year a decision was made to replace it. Since it was a circa 1969 Nutone 24-inch wide unit with matching wall oven there was not an economical way to replace both units, so we decided to rearrange the cabinets and buy a free-standing range. My dreams of finally owning a smooth glass top range came crashing down when the salesman at Sears told me I couldn't do any canning with my huge pressure cooker on it. So, back to the drawing board, but WAIT! Good news, I was able to get a fancier microhood than originally planned with the money saved by not getting the smooth top range. Now I'll have a convection/microwave combo with the exhaust fan underneath (built in to same unit). The new stove and microhood are bisque. Yeah, I don't go with the crowd and since the crowd likes stainless and I detest cleaning it, bisque it is! The dishwasher didn't come in bisque, go figure, so we got a black one. Last weekend my daughter and her fiance came over to help us pull out the stove/oven unit and rearrange the lower cabinets. I will post those pictures here. Tonight my husband and I removed the huge upper corner cabinet that has an awesome three-tiered lazy susan inside. It's going where the refrigerator used to be on the other end of the same wall. Man was it ever dirty! Since there's an open gridwork on the door rather than solid wood, all kinds of dust and grime got inside. Of course we couldn't see it because of all the cans stacked inside. Anyway, let me see if I can remember how to post pictures...

No comments: